Cast of Shadows
Please Log In
Cast of Shadows
Please Log In
Cast of Shadows
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WARNING: This forum may contain graphic content, explicit language, and violent themes. By registering with this forum you agree to take sole responsibility for viewing said content and not hold the site or administrators liable for anything that results.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why Strength?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
lysander

Character sheet
Street Name:
Archetype:
Race:

Why Strength? Empty
PostSubject: Why Strength?   Why Strength? EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 2:13 pm

Why are weapons that should be devoted to speed linked to the Strength attribute? You'd think a stun baton (Which only needs contact to work) wouldn't need strength behind the blow. Just a thought as I begin developing a third character.
Back to top Go down
Logan
Admin

Character sheet
Street Name:
Archetype:
Race:

Why Strength? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Strength?   Why Strength? EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 6:28 pm

I have thought the same thing before when it comes to agility weapons like knives and katanas (when used properly anyway). Might be worth a house rule? Ideas?
Back to top Go down
Roach
Admin
Roach

Character sheet
Street Name: Roach
Archetype: Special Forces Vet
Race: Human

Why Strength? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Strength?   Why Strength? EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 6:35 pm

To be honest...it's because strength was considered the 'norm' for melee attacks since the earliest days of role-playing. No other really good reason. There are definitely weapons that could be better served by using Dex/Quickness/Reflexes/etc instead but to make things as simple as possible, most games have kept it to strength. Some games get around it by failing to offer any sort of armor proteciton against certain items (like the stun baton) but I don't believe SR does that (though I'm not positive).

Another related question to that is: Why not strength when dealing with certain aspects of firearms? Recoil is a big issue in real firearms. Really, what comes to mind is the video I saw of the cute, dainty little chick popping off a single shot with a Desert Eagle .50....and then watching as the recoil and her lack of upper body strength slung that DE .50 into her forehead. Proper stance, technique, and readiness can mitigate many of the effects of recoil...but not all. Sometimes it just takes a bit of the old brute force to handle it.

Was contemplating adapting a weapon min str system like CP2020 has. If I can figure the math out properly, the system would be almost intuitive in figuring whether that weapon is just too much for you or not.
Back to top Go down
lysander

Character sheet
Street Name:
Archetype:
Race:

Why Strength? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Strength?   Why Strength? EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 10:08 pm

Nah, I think it make much more sense that it isn't strength but Body.

Let's face it, the 98 lbs girls holding .357's are 98lbs girls. But you see a bigger guy (Be it muscle or otherwise) and he can still fire the gun just fine. To me it makes sense that the guns are linked to Quickness because you get into that whole "Who fires first? Who can aim and fire before anybody else?" so that makes sense testing your speed against other people's speed.

So yeah....... but I wouldn't mind linking melee weapons to speed (Especially things outside the clubs group..... with the exception of the stun baton of course)..... they do it in 4th and I hate to seem like a broken record but... it seems right.

However, because I've been reading more 3rd edition books I have to say this:

I am horribly sad that they don't have Landmines in ANY books for 4th. It made me very very very sad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Why Strength? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Strength?   Why Strength? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why Strength?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cast of Shadows :: Miscellaneous Tidbits :: Random Thoughts-
Jump to: